It started in early May. Under cover of darkness, three people pried open a manhole cover on a quiet street in Astoria, Queens, and lowered themselves into the sewer. An auto repair shop owner working late caught the whole thing on surveillance. He told the NYPD he made eye contact with one of them before they disappeared underground.
That was the first sighting. It was not the last.
By June, the phenomenon had spread to Brooklyn. Surveillance footage from Gravesend showed seven people emerging from a maintenance hole around 2 a.m., climbing out, walking to a couple of parked cars, and calmly changing into fresh clothes. Police later confirmed the group had entered the sewers around 11 p.m. — meaning they spent roughly three hours down there, in the dark, in raw sewage runoff, doing God knows what.
The internet, predictably, lost its collective mind.
Was it a guerrilla urban exploration club? Some kind of mole-person LARP? The Ninja Turtles finally going public? (One eyewitness literally told the Washington Post: "These guys looked like the Ninja Turtles.") Or — and I'm not joking — was someone running an unlicensed speakeasy in the goddamn sewer?
The NYPD Emergency Services Unit got involved. So did the New York City Department of Environmental Protection, which — in the most New York response imaginable — issued a statement that amounted to: "Please stop entering the sewers. They are extremely dangerous. Also, gross."
By late June, there had been at least four documented incidents. The NYPD's official line was that nothing criminal had been found. "They don't appear to be up to anything sinister," a source told reporters. Which, honestly, only makes it weirder. Eight adults aren't crawling into a Queens sewer for three hours at 11 p.m. for the thrill of it. They're doing something. They just haven't been caught doing it yet.
My favorite theory? A group of disgruntled infrastructure nerds running a rogue tour of the city's combined sewer overflow system. Second favorite: competitive urban spelunking. Third: someone is aging cheese down there and the whole thing is a guerrilla cheese-aging operation, which would make this blog extremely happy.
What makes this story pure 2026 is how it feels. It's weird. It's harmless (probably). No one's getting hurt. The authorities are baffled but not alarmed. And everyone involved is treating the whole thing with a mix of genuine curiosity and dry New York humor. It's not a crisis. It's a puzzle. And maybe — just maybe — it's the kind of low-stakes mystery we need more of.
The manhole people are still out there. If you see a group of adults in coveralls emerging from a sewer grate in Brooklyn at 2 a.m., don't call the cops. Just ask them what's down there. And if the answer involves cheese wheels, for the love of God, send me a note.
Image: Surveillance footage of three individuals entering a Queens sewer manhole on May 5, 2026. (AKI AUTO CARE / AP)